Praise be to Allah, Who said: (At-Taubah 122).
Prayers and Peace be upon the most honorable amongst the prophets and messengers, our master Muhammad, who is sent as a teacher, and one to complete good ethics, who said in his sahih sayings: “whomever took a path looking for knowledge, Allah will ease for him a path to Jannah”(narrated by Tarmizi from Abu Hurairah – may Allah be pleased with him – and (Prayers and Peace be upon) his family, companions, tabi’een, and those who follow them rightfully till the day of judgment.
The history behind the establishment of Rubat Tarim
The Idea of the Establishment
Tarim City is famous from olden times with knowledge and scholars, and its vast amounts of mosques and zawiyas (learning centers), and knowledge seekers would head towards it from around the world, especially from Southeast Asia and Africa. Those students who came to Tarim had to face the difficulty of finding accomodations and a place to host them, and to gather in to revise their lessons. So the notables in Tarim agreed on the opinion of establishing a Rubat (institution) and a building to host these students from inside and outside of Tarim, and only the foreigners are allowed to stay in.
Rubat Tarim was established in the year 1304H, which corresponds to 1886M, after the notable of Tarim City have discussed on the idea of establishing a building for the Rubat, and they started gathering monetary funds from some benefactors, and those are from the families of AlShatiri, Alhaddad, AlJunied, AlSery, and Arfan, and presided by the Mufti of Hadhramout in that period – The very knowledgeable Syed Abdulrahman bin Muhammad bin Husain AlMasyhur, author of the book ‘Bughyah AlMustarshideen’ (the longing of guidance seekers).
The Opening of the Rubat
The opening of the Rubat was after the building was constructed, on 14 of Muharram 1305H, which corresponds to 1 October 1887M.
It was well stated in the official records that was used to record student names between the year 1315H to 1362H, that the number of scholars that graduated from Rubat during this period is close to thirteen thousand scholars, some of whom are judges, muftis, teachers, and preachers. As for those who learned in it, and received a fair share of their religious knowledge, some of whom only learned the primary books. Unfortunately, these records were lost during the period of totalitarian (communist)y.
As for the period that the students stay in it, it is not limited by time or period; rather it is controlled by the preparation of the student and seeker and his diligence and intellect. The student is also given a certificate upon leaving, according to his level, and scientific achievements.
These founders are Syed Ahmad bin Omar Ahmad AlShatiri, his son Omar Ahmad, Syed AbdulQadir bin Ahmad AlHaddad, Syed Muhammad bin Salim AlSery, Syed Ahmad bin AbdulRahman AlJuneid, and Sheikh Muhammad bin Omar Arfan. They donated and gathered money from benefactors and some of them endowed some of the real estate, and they bought the land that the Rubat was built on, which expands to the north by the side of Sheikh Abdulrahman Babteinah mosque, and to the south to the field by Jame’ mosque of Tarim. Recently, a building was added to the east for the accommodations of the students.
Pedagogy and system of Studies
Since its establishment till date (approximately around 121 years), the methodology of studies at Rubath Tarim is of the halaqah system which guided by the mashikhikh. Once of the significance of Rubat Tarith is that each student will be assigned to the halaqah which is tailored to the level of each student. Each halaqah studies, examines and delves into various sciences with serious scholarship which comprises not less than ten halaqah per session, commencing from dusk till dawn. Apart from studying religious sciences, the concept of discipline and service is integrated, inculcated and embodied within the system
The applied pedagogy is very effective in the sense that teachers focus and can readily monitor the students’ educational development and ethical progress, set in form of halaqah (group), a religious gathering where the ratio of teacher to student is about 1:15. In the modern context, the halaqah is similar to that of the ‘tutorial’ session in higher learning where the teacher focuses on a small group of students for each module taught. Each halaqah comprises of 10-15 students.
This halaqah system has existed during the Prophet’s time. The existence of this halaqah system can be understood and reflected from the hadith of Jibril when, with the diligence, the angel Jibril guided the Apostles of basic things in religion (Faith, Islam and Ihsan) and preceded in the particular hadith, the gist of etiquettes, manners and conditions that one needs to embody in the pursuit of knowledge (eg etiquette of dressing, sit down while studying and manners of posting inquiries) were featured in this Hadith by Angel Jibril. The spirituality of those methods and etiquettes that were substantiated during the days of Salafussoleh is lacking nowadays. The essence of these manners can be comprehended from the wisdom of Saiyidina ‘Ali:
“I’m willing to be a slave to someone who taught me though (what taught) is a letter.
All student activities are designed and optimized carefully by Rubat Tarim’s administrators. The daily routine schedules of the students began before the dawn prayers by performing tahajud prayers, followed by the dawn prayers in the mosque of Babthoin, accompanied with recitation of aurad.
First Session; It’s about 5 am at 07.00 am, the dares namely known as dars nahwu starts. Upon completion, the students will eat breakfast. At 07.30 the revision session, mudzakarah is held in respective halaqah for about half an hour to prepare the study which will be studied later in the afternoon with masyayikh, followed by memorization of beginner primary texts, matan, until 09:00.
During the next three hours is the resting time until Dzuhur, after performing Dzuhur prayer, the hizb (tadarus) of the Qur’an for half an hour is allocated to student (compulsory). Afterwards, students are encouraged to take a nap for preparation for the afternoon session.
Second Session; At 15:00 after Ashar prayer in congregation, the second session stars and every halaqah continues until 17:00,
Third Session; after the evening prayer (Maghreb.), the hizb (tadarus) of the Qur’an is then formed. Later, the third session commences which lasts until 20.15. Followed by Isya’ and dinner. After dinner the students are required to follow the halaqah for half an hour to prepare for the morning lesson.
|1||Flight deposit (Guarantor money will be returned upon completion of studies)||USD 550.00|
|2||Provision contributions (2 years)||USD 1260.00|
|3||Student permit processing fees for 4 years including renewal & exit visa fee (approx. depending on exchange rate)||USD 150.00|
|4||Student visa (If applicable)||USD 100.00|
Updated as of 12 Mar 19.
- Preserve the five daily prayers in congregation.
- To discipline in Tarim, especially in Rubat, creation and behavior.
- To maintain the lessons, reviews and content scheduled in Rubat, with a attendance rate of not less than 80% and the absence of an acceptable excuse.
- To speak Arabic inside and outside Rubat without speaking his language.
- Strict adherence to sit for the various examinations assigned to it according to the Rubat examination system.
- Dealing with the workers in Rubat and specialists in the administration of Rubat with appreciation and respect.
- Maintain the general cleanliness of Rubat and its facilities and prepare fully for participation in hygiene.
- To wear white, especially in the five daily prayers represented by the long dress.
- Deposit valuables such as cash to the secretariat.
- Deposit of medicines if I have to take with him baptized by a specialist doctor for that.
- If he wants to travel for Umrah, he must be after two years of joining Rubat and authorize his guardian in writing.
- The Department of Rubat shall arrange for the student to travel for any purpose after being convinced.
- Smoking is prohibited inside and outside the ligament.
- It is forbidden to go to inappropriate places such as Internet cafes, hotels, cafes and so on.
- The use of mobile phones inside and outside Rubat is prohibited and can be deposited with the secretariats section in Rubat.
- It is forbidden to cook all kinds and not to use any electrical tool for any purpose such as cook and other.
- It is forbidden to exit without permission from the competent official.
- It is forbidden to listen to songs of any kind, Arabic or other.
- It is forbidden to read all kinds of newspapers and inappropriate books.
- It is forbidden to stay after 12 pm.
- It is forbidden to gather in all Rubat facilities for non-lessons and review.
- It is forbidden to transfer to any other educational institution except with the consent of the Rubat administration and the guardian.
- It is forbidden to change anything in the accommodation room and decorate it without the permission of the interior department official.
- It is forbidden to move from one room to another without the permission of the Interior Department official.
- A student is not allowed to live outside Rabat unless accompanied by his wife.
Source: Rubat Department – Internal Section
Student enrollment from outside the Republic
Conditions of Admission and Admission to Rubat Tarim for Teaching Religious and Arabic Sciences for Students from Outside Yemen Residing in Rubat
- The arrival in Tarim during the months of Shawwal to Dhu al-Hijjah each year.
- The student must be at least seventeen years old.
- To be fit and healthy.
- To take the student with him the last certificate obtained by a baptist from the Institute where he studied Mzkp behavioral aspect and good faith.
- The level of his certificate should not be less than the preparatory, intermediate or equivalent level in the institutes
- To accompany an official letter from his country agreeing to study (or as requested by his embassy if any in Yemen).
- Commit to continue his studies in Rubat for at least two years from the time of enrollment.
- The level of the student should not be less than the book of Abu Shuja and the Muqaddimah Hadhramiah in jurisprudence and Aljurumiah in grammar and memorization of Juz Amma.
- Student is bound to return some books even if successful in the examinations as required by the status of the seminar and the level of the student in the eyes of specialists in the Department of Rabat.
- To be fluent in Arabic reading and writing.
- The student should pay the fees of medical examinations, study visa and residence permit for a period of four years by depositing an amount of (five hundred and fifty US $ 550 $).
- To pay the financial participation for two years in advance is not refunded when traveling before the two years only through the delegate in accordance with the financial system of Rubat and the amount (nine hundred dollars ۹۰۰ $).
- To deposit the return ticket guarantee in the amount of (five hundred and fifty dollars US $ 550) to be paid at the final travel. African students generally pay a return ticket ($ 450) to be paid on final travel.
- Students in Africa are generally exempted from participation in full fees
- Compliance with all the above conditions. In the event of any breach of one of them, Rubat has the right not to accept it and return it directly to its country.
- Full commitment to the rules of procedure and school Rubat Tarim.
Source 1: http://rubat-tareem.net/2ddc0052-ac19-4651-9bbd-77b76072a960.aspx
Source 2: http://rubat-tareem.net/ebc8c98e-14c2-4cf8-addf-4e7645a41aef.aspx